Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dumb Pride?

From June to the end of August, we've had a part-time nanny come and help me out in the mornings 3 days a week and it has been so wonderful to have the extra help. This was only a summer arrangement and she has now returned back to her full-time position so I am without a nanny now. My Mom still comes 2x/week to help me out but we have been trying to hire someone else and I find myself very reluctant to do so. It's the thought of having to explain everything to someone new, getting the kids adjusted to someone else and then having yet another stranger in my house. I always wanted to take care of the kids myself with a little help from my Mom and I know I will be really tired doing so but is it dumb pride that is preventing me from getting another nanny? What is the reluctance I'm feeling all about?

Part of it is the money I have to admit. We are down to one salary and I am very cognizant that this is another expense we would have to absorb. Am I just being naive to think that I can manage on my own? We haven't even started the really fun stuff yet like eating solids, crawling or walking. Am I deluding myself into thinking I can do this on my own? Is it some strange desire to be some super-Mom to make up for my short-comings in the past (i.e. my inability to have kids without major medical intervention)? Am I setting myself up to implode?

What do you guys think??

5 comments:

  1. I completely understand! I had a nanny 2 days/week this summer too and even though she was great (she was one of Logan's preschool teachers), it takes awhile to train someone in. I am trying to find someone 1-2 days/week now too so that I can work for our two businesses and run errands...by myself:) If I can't find someone I will just get as much done during their naps and after they go to bed in the evening.

    I totally know that if you want to do it by yourself, you can:) It is nice that you have your mom 2 days/week to help out. Yes, there are lots of changes to come with the girls, but you can do it! :) You could always give yourself a trial period for a month or so and try adjusting to not having the help and reorganize your days (I am trying to do this with Logan being in kindergarten and my nanny leaving), take another/different look at things and then decide after you give yourself some time.

    Having said this, I agree...it is nice to have the help, but you sound like you have everything together and I know you will be able to do it on your own, with your moms help:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is doable if you want to go out on your own. I have several friends with twins and one with triplets that had no real help. They would once in a while have a family member come to stay, but they were fine. However, I know it is alot of work and makes it so that your time with the little ones is more work and less play. If you have the ability to get a nanny, why not? It would make your life easier and more enjoyable. But, if you want to do it on your own, its hard but rewarding! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No real advice here, but just try to trust your instincts. And don't try to be a hero--if you need help and can afford it, why not? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say give it a shot without and see how things go. Then if you do find you need extra help, you'll have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get what you're feeling. Eventually I'm going to have to go back to work and even though I work from home, I will need to hire someone to come in and help. The whole startup process just sucks, the interviewing, getting comfortable around each other, learning what is expected, just not fun stuff. And yeah, the financial aspect really sucks too. Maybe give it a go on your own with a little help from mom and just see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete