Monday, August 16, 2010

Frustrating Night

Victoria would not go back to sleep for the longest time tonight.

She began to fuss at 10:30pm, just as I was about to go to bed. I changed her diaper, I rocked her right to sleep only to have her wake up again 15 minutes later for no apparent reason. This pattern continued - she would fuss and then get quiet for a few minutes, fuss again for a few minutes off and on. Nothing I did stopped the fussing for more than 15 minutes at a time. I fed her not once but twice and then rocked her again. I changed her PJs because she was sucking on her top so much that it was soaked. I rocked her again. I held her. I put her down, patted her back, rubbed her back and begged her to go to sleep.

Now it's 2am and she has finally fallen back asleep. I still don't know why she was fussing and crying off and on for so long. I guess it's just one of those mysteries I will never understand. Maybe she was suffering some teething pain? No pearly whites to show for all that fussing. I don't know. Just frustrated.

Blessedly, Caitlyn slept through all of this. There are some small mercies.

6 comments:

  1. Bless your heart. I get so frusterated with the whole loss of sleep thing. Not at the baby or anything but just in general because of exhaustion. Hopefully things will be better for you guys tonight.
    Cooper used to cry randomly (he still actually does) I never could figure out what it was either. We even took him to the doc to make sure it wasn't an ear infection and everything was fine. Just teething most likely. I hope she feels better quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds miserable! Glad to hear only one of them was acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you had such a frustrating night. Hope tonight is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I share your frustration! Why oh why do they cry so hard and are so hard to get to sleep when you've fed them, changed them and attended to their every need? We are willing to do anything for them and yet sometimes that's not enough. Wishing you a peaceful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! Sounds like a long night! Is there a reason you change their diapers in the middle of the night? Caden was peeing through his diaper a couple of months ago. When he woke up in the morning the front of his jammies were soaking wet. We are now buying the Huggies Overnights diapers and haven't had an issue with him peeing through/out of his diaper at night anymore. We put it on him at 7:00pm and he is usally up around 7:00am with no problems peeing out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I totally know what you're going through! Could it be teething? When Ronan was cutting his tooth, he would be up every hour on the hour for like 2 weeks straight. Hope you got some rest!!

    ReplyDelete