Monday, August 23, 2010

Separation Anxiety

I think Caitlyn is having separation anxiety. Yesterday, while shopping at Costco, my DH was pushing the stroller and he wandered off away from me. Caitlyn could not see me and she started getting more and more upset and anxious. Then the crying started, so loud I could hear it from where I was standing in line. By the time I finally got checked out and back over to them, she was very, very upset. She was so upset that by the time we got to the car and I had loaded her in, she wanted nothing to do with not having Mama around and she just started screaming, so much so that I thought she was hurt in some way. I know what complaining crying sounds like and this was not it - this was full blown, full body screaming and she was UPSET. I had to take her out of her car seat to console her and there were still catches in her breathing for at least a half hour after.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to deal with separation anxiety and is there anything you can do to help it to pass? I can't even take her out to the grocery store now without her getting upset...

6 comments:

  1. I will remind you of this some day. My friend Bonnie drops her daughter off at daycare and her daughter tells her to go away and stop hovering so she can play "properly". You'll miss them thinking you are so amazing. :) So basically it is your own fault for being so darn much fun to be around. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little baby. I hope she gets better about it. I have no idea how to fix it. I've always heard it just takes time. Hopefully someone will have some good advise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard it is a natural stage. It doesn't make it easier though. I have absolutely no suggestions...I hope it is a short-lived stage though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely sounds like separation anxiety. I just read about it the other day. It's a completely normal phase where if they see you and then they don't, you no longer exist, you're not coming back. It's just their immature brains and they need time to develop that skill that objects they can't see still exist. Try games like peek-a-boo with her to teach her that what you can't see does in fact exist. Hide an object (maybe you) she really likes and then give it back as soon as the anxiety kicks in. Good luck and enjoy this clingy you're a rock star stage as soon enough, she'll be pushing you away because you're so uncool... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you teach 'object permanence' or does it just have to come with time/age? But they just adore you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no advice. Ronan and I are glued to each other. :) (I think I have separation anxiety as much as he does.)

    ReplyDelete