Monday, June 28, 2010

A Social Weekend

I will not talk about sleep training
I will not talk about sleep training
I will not talk about sleep training...much

All I'm going to say is that it's going much better than last time and I am learning to adjust and be adaptable with their sleep routine so that they are getting their naps in and there is less and less crying. I would not declare success quite just yet but I am encouraged by the progress we make every day.

We had a great day today and I managed to time their naps so that when I took them to a play group I signed them up for, they were wide awake and enjoyed every moment of it! Yay Mama!

This past weekend, it felt like we really rejoined the world in a social sense. There are long stretches of time where we use the weekends to recuperate and just rest from the week and it's enough to do groceries and chores around the house. Not this past weekend. We were quite the social butterflies and I am very proud of the girls and how they handled it.

Saturday for lunch my DH's family came over to visit with the girls. We made it out in the morning to get some groceries and then we had take-out pizza for lunch. It was nice for the girls to see their grandfather, aunt and cousin and lunch wasn't too bad since we got take-out. Still, we picked it up so we had to get out somewhere to go get it and that isn't always easy with the whole family in tow.

Saturday night I used to prepare for Sunday morning as we had friends visiting from B.C. and that was the only time we could see them. On Friday I baked two batches of muffins during nap time and froze them for the breakfast. Saturday night after the girls had gone to bed, I washed and cut up all of the fresh fruit and made up the pancake batter, keeping the dry ingredients separate from the wet ingredients but preparing everything so all I had to do was stir them together and then cook them. I also set the table, got all of the pans ready and lined with foil to cook the bacon and hash browns and made juice so I didn't have to worry about those little details the next day. All in all, the preparations ahead of time made for a very smooth sailing breakfast the next day although I did burn a few pancakes because I got distracted socializing!

Sunday night, we had another friend of ours come over for dinner. He's an airline pilot in Taiwan and we don't get to see him very often either so he was over for a good steak dinner which my DH BBQ'd in the rain. Talk about dedication to the grill! We kept it simple - steak, baked potato and grilled veggies which I prepped in the afternoon, again during a nap.

The wonderful thing is that we were so social this weekend and it felt good to be doing something in addition to changing poopy diapers and wiping up spit up. I'm grateful to have the poopy diapers to change mind you but it is nice to do something different and it was very refreshing. It proved to us that with a little advance planning and preparation, we can have some semblance of a social life once more!

7 comments:

  1. Souds like a fun weekend. Can't believe you managed all that cooking/backing on top of twins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Supermom - I don't have twins and I couldn't imagine pulling off that cooking extravaganza! Good for you - you guys are going amazing.
    (Sarah)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That wasn't a little social weekend, that was a marathon! Yeah Kathy! I knew you'd be super Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing!! Glad the sleep stuff is going better, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for socializing! The more you do it, the easier it gets so keep it goin'!!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. but now I'm wondering how sleep training is going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you had a nice weekend and good for you for hosting all those parties.

    ReplyDelete