Thursday, May 20, 2010

Night 5 Recap & The Start of Night 6

Last night, the girls continued to show improvement in that there were longer periods of silence between the bouts of crying and fussing. In total, they still fussed from 6:45pm when we put them down to about 8:30pm so a decrease in the overall time but still a lot longer than ideal. They skipped their 10pm meal and woke up at 1:30am and then after that, they slept through to 6am when they got up to start the day. All in all, not a bad night but I am still striving for a shorter time of fussing.

I keep thinking that with the almost 2 hours of fussing that we are missing something and that we are not getting it right just yet. I decided tonight to play around again with the bedtime and moved it up to 6pm. Last night was supposed to be bedtime of 6:30pm as it was bath night but we were a little late in getting them down so it was actually 6:45 by the time they went down. Clearly, that was too late for them.

I was vigilant during the day today and really watched their sleep cues for naps and ensured that the last nap wasn't going to interfere with bed time of 6pm. They woke up from their last nap at around 4:30pm which was perfect timing so I fed them and changed them and played with them for a while. No kidding, at around 5:45, they started showing signs of drowsiness and so I put them in their cribs to just wind down - I didn't swaddle them at all, I just simply put them in their cribs and watched them like a hawk. Sure enough, they started yawning and their eye lids started drooping so I swaddled them and at exactly 6pm, this is what I heard:

[crickets, crickets]

No crying! No fussing! No pain at bedtime! None whatsoever! It is now 6:42pm and I haven't heard a single peep from either one of them. Could this be the key? I am really crossing my fingers that this is it.

We are enjoying the silence.

Truly.

2 comments: