Saturday, May 22, 2010

Still Sleep Training and A Different Topic (Finally)

I know - are you as sick of this topic as I am? We are still at it and there has been definite improvement but there is still crying involved. So it does seem that the girls' bedtime is 6pm and they have been going down pretty easily at that time last two nights. However, they will "wake up" and take turns fussing for a few minutes here and there. They will give every appearance of being a sleeping baby but then they'll just start crying out of the blue. I am currently listening to Caitlyn cry.

*sigh*

When does the crying stop?

I know they'll figure it out and my BFF keeps reassuring me that they're smart girls...they'll get it more and more every day.

The neighbours must think we're crazy. I realized that I left the window open in their room but I will not go back in to close it, even with the intermittent crying that's going on. Defeats the purpose of suffering through the crying in the first place because guaranteed, if they catch sight of me, the crying will only intensify.

DH is out for dinner with his side of the family, celebrating his father's birthday. I on the other hand am at home, committed to this sleep training thing and not willing to screw up their bedtime so we decided that I would not attend with the kids. Short term sacrifice and DH has reassured me that he will be skimming off some good eats to bring home to me for my dinner later.

So let's talk about something else.

Is anyone BF out there? I could talk about this topic for a long time too. Long and short of it - breastfeeding is much harder than I ever thought it would be. I thought that you just stick the baby on your boob and he/she and I would just "know" what to do. Boy was I wrong...

A little BF history about me: I started my kids off on 100% formula and they were fed either by bottle or feeding tube in the NICU. I had lost so much blood post-partum that my milk was really slow to come in. Also, one of my girls was tongue tied [a condition whereby the frenulum (the thin membrane that attaches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth) needs to be snipped in order so that your tongue can extend past your lower lip. This is very important in BF in that the tongue must massage the nipple to extract the milk.] Since then, I have slowly been able to transition them to 100% breast milk and they are breastfeeding really well now.

My question is this - I started pumping right at the very start to stimulate my breasts to produce more milk and I have continued to pump and now produce enough breast milk for my two girls plus I have extra in the fridge. I am scared to death to stop pumping for fear that my supply drops off. Has anyone started out pumping and then was able to stop? How were you able to do it - was there a weaning period and did you find that you were still able to produce enough breast milk?

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what to say, but I'm scared to stop pumping too. Figure I may leave out pumping after the odd feed, but otherwise will keep it up as I'm going back to work in 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete